Tuesday, January 24, 2012

C25K W1D1 Couch to 5K Part Deux

The clouds have parted. After many false starts, bad weather and other delay tactics yesterday was it. I could drag my heels no longer. The day finally had arrived. I made up my mind to start running... again. Yes it is a redo but I am OK with that. It is what it is, it's where I'm at and I had start sometime sooner than later. 
 
As you know I had planned on running Sunday but it was gusty, 50 mph winds so I made it another excuse and decided not to try and run in that. Actually it worked out to my benefit because I really needed to clean my house and being inside all afternoon gave me an excuse to get it done. I also had a small nap so I probably could have run but, alas.
 
Yesterday Melody was in Portland all day saying her goodbye to a good friend that is moving to Russia on Wednesday. Me? I went to work. Work was busy all day namely because of the storms. I work insurance claims so the winter storm season brings much busyness. As I talked with clients I kept thinking to myself "this is the day" and  "I run tonight". I was doing my best to phyc my self up and to insure I would not fall of off the wagon I just set myself on.
 
I tracked my food intake, every single bite yesterday. I did not pack a lunch. I did not want to eat junk so I stopped by Subway. I had a 6" Chicken Teryiaki Sub and some baked Lays not a bad lunch at 540 Calories. For dinner I made some homemade turkey Chili which I did not have high hopes for. I was so wrong this turkey chili totally rocked and I was impressed by how good and easy it was. The chili is going into regular rotation as it was way better than I thought it could be.  Here is what I came up with my own recipe.
 
Turkey Chili - Todd Swanson
 
2 Dried Ancho Chili Peppers
2 Dried New Mexico Chili Peppers
1 Lb Lean Ground Turkey
1 Tbs Beef Base
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Medium onion chopped
1 Green Bell pepper Chopped
4 Cloves Garlic Minced or Pressed through a Garlic Press
2 Tbs Commercially Prepared Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Chipotle Chili in Adobo minced
1 Can 28oz crushed tomatoes
1 Can 28oz diced tomatoes
3 Can 16oz Pinto Beans Drained
3 Cups water
1/4 -1/2 Cup Masa Harina or Corn Meal
 
Begin by lightly roasting the dried peppers in a 350 degree oven on a baking sheet. Roast just until fragrant and spotty but not darkened. Cool and tear apart the dried peppers with your fingers disposing of any stems and seeds. Place the dried peppers in a coffee grinder and grind into a powder, set aside. 
 
Mix the turkey and beef base together and set aside.
 
Heat the oil a large dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the Onion, Bell Pepper, and Turkey Mixture to the pot and cook until the Onion has softened and the meat is cooked 10 min approxametly.
 
Add the reserved ground Chilies, Garlic, Commercially Prepared Chili Powder, Black Pepper and Chipotle Chili. Cook stirring contently until fragrant approximately 30 seconds. 
 
Add the canned Tomatoes, beans, and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 min.
 
Add enough of the Masa Harina or Corn Meal to thicken the Chili to desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as necessary
 
Serve with shredded cheese, avocados, chopped tomatoes, onion, or light sour cream.
 
My food intake was 1730 Calories right on point with 32/42/25 Fat/Carbs/Protein. The nutrition spread could have been better but I feel really good about it. This is nutritionally really where I want to be.  

Look at that I'm a runner
After work and dinner was finished Melody Came over and we got into our running gear. It was 38 degrees and a little bit foggy. The ground is still pretty saturated and squishy from the recent heavy rains. The softness is kind of and nice on the knees so no complaints about the track conditions.
 
We arrived at the track at around 9:00 PM ready to go. Melody and I both held up our phones and hit start simultaneously. I had this strange sense of deja vu as we bounded around the track. Melody and I kept catching up with each other it was a lot of fun.
 
Cat and Mouse
 
About mid way through the run I developed a side stitch on my right side. I was able to work through it though by focusing my exhalations on the down step of the foot of the opposite side. So I was able to finish strong. I went home tired but happy with my accomplishment. Yes I am a happy runner, again.
 
Peace
 
“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”
― John Bingham, No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running

3 comments:

  1. Nice Pic! Who has two thumbs and is a runner? You are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, saw that you stopped by and saw my blog! Was reading yours and I am stealing a word, "busyness". Can't believe I have never heard of that word or used it!!

    Look forward to your updates! And congrats on getting out there and running!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job getting out there! I hope you blog that you did it again today!

    ~Lilly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...