Thursday, December 29, 2011

Soup's On!

Those who know me know I love to cook and the results are usually good. That is part of my problem. Too much good food = too much calories. OK so part of this journey for me will be finding food makeovers and or new recipes that will still fall within a more reasonable calorie range. So I've been trying out some new ideas and some menu makeovers.

M was not feeling well last night, I hope she is not getting a cold from our run. I decided to make soup. Normally I would make something hearty to fight off a cold, beef stew, or perhaps chicken n dumplings etc. Last night I decided I would make over one of my own recipes Won Ton soup. Lo and behold the new skinny recipe was simply delicious and nether M or I  missed the fat. This one may go into regular rotation. Here's the recipe.

Won Ton Soup

Won Tons
1 lb 99% Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
1 Shallot Minced
2 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
2 Tbs Soy Sauce
2 Chopped Green Onions
1 Tsp Grated Ginger
1/4 Tsp Ground pepper
1 Tsp Corn Starch
1 Tsp Sesame Oil

1 Package Won Ton Wrappers

Soup
1 Tsp Vegetable Oil
1/4 C Minced White Onion
1 Shallot Minced
1 Tsp Grated Ginger
1/4 -1/2 C Dry Sherry
8 C Low Sodium Chicken Stock
4 C Water
1 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 C Julienned Carrot
1/3 C Snow Pea Pods Trimmed
1/4 C Chopped Green Onions

To assemble Won Tons mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl. By small spoonful place a small amount in the center of the Won Ton Wrapper and fold the sides of the wrapper over the won ton forming a dumpling.

For the Soup heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Cook the onion, shallot until softened a few minutes. Add the ginger and cook until fragrant approx 30 seconds.  Pour the sherry into the pot and cook to reduce slightly. Add the chicken stock, water, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil add the dumplings, carrots, and snow pea pods return to simmer (do not boil as the won tons are gentle and will break apart) Simmer for several min until the meat has cooked through. If desired the soup may be thickened with cornstarch. Garnish with green onions Enjoy.

My food intake yesterday was 1851 calories so I was just 42 calories over my goal. My calories spread was 22/25/53 fat/protein/carbs. I am beginning to feel much better about what I am eating. And actually I am eating way more fruits and veggies because of this change so I am starting to already feel better I don't know I just have more energy from all of the real food that I am eating.

BTW What is 42 calories? I looked it up for a laugh 1 cup of spaghetti squash, 1 small packet of raisins, or 6 almonds.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...