Saturday, December 31, 2011

Going Out

Yesterday was so full of activity. I stated out the day with a light egg sandwich (egg, cheese and toast)  and packed a healthy lunch. I have been packing lunch all week to insure my success. For yesterday I had a leftover chicken fajita some fruit, veggies and a cheese stick. It was great lunch I didn't feel deprived although I should have packed some whole wheat crackers so to get in a few more calories. But what I packed held me through the end of the workday just fine.

I am a musician, a pianist, after work on Fridays I play music with Friends downtown. Before I headed out for our set I stopped by McDonald's. I know some of you may think I was insane. When I stepped up to the counter the smell of french fries flooded my senses just about made me fall off the wagon right there. I know that before I started my new "healthy" lifestyle I would wouldn't have thought twice about ordering a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, large french fry, and large soda. With a combined 1497 calories that meal would place me one meal closer to open heart surgery. I thought about ordering that very meal for about 1.5 seconds before I thought better. I ordered a Grilled chicken southwest Salad and a large black coffee at about 400 Cal including the dressing I did just fine and it was enough to hold me though the evenings activities without feeling famished.

For those who love McDonald's here is food for thought in 2004 Morgan Spurlock released a documentary called Super Size Me. As an experiment for the documentary Spurlock consumed only McDonald's food over a 30 day period. Consuming an average of 5000 calories a day Morgan gained 24.5 lbs. During the experiment Spurlocks health suffered badly his cholesterol jumped to 230, he experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and he accumulated fat in the liver. It took Morgan more than 14 months to loose the fat he gained from his experiment. Here's to hoping my monthly weight loss averages are greater than Spurlock if not thats OK as I've said before I'm in this for the long hawl.

Yesterday At about 10 PM I went out again, this time to Subway, I had a 6" turkey breast sub "Jarrod would be proud".  All in all the sub was healthy, so I feel pretty good about what I ate total for the day. My total calorie intake for the day was 1882 with nutrition spread of 36/24/41 fat/protein/carbohydrates. Nutritionally not the best but caloricly still within my limits so I should still be on track to loose for the week. Melody is feeling slightly better today and we are on track to run today and haing out with friends tonight. Here's to a healthy new year.

Peace

2 comments:

  1. I saw Super Size Me, and it was a bit of a wake-up call. Junk food is my nemesis! Well done on getting a salad instead of the QP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got no specific issue with McDs any longer. In fact, I enjoy their McGrill Chicken Classic with ketchup and mustard (no mayo). Very low in fat and calories relative to other menu offerings. I haven't had it in weeks and who knows if I'll return to eating animal protein after trying the Vegan lifestyle shortly...we'll see. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...